Friday, October 23, 2009

Progress Report

Progress Report

Today I have another lesson with my voice teacher. We are making some interesting progress. I have been (slowly) discovering that I need even less air for vocal production than I felt I did. When first starting lessons with Martile, the sensation of the open throat made almost made me feel like I had to fill that huge (for me at the time) space, by whatever means possible!

Back when I was suffering from Delusions of Leggiero, aside from singing with a high larynx and a pinched tone, I also sang in a very controlled manner, a precious manner even, imitating what I thought would be the proper leggiero sound. James Allbritten told me that my voice was, essentially, like a wild horse I had been restraining all of my life and that I would first have to let it go wild.  As a result, when faced with such a nice open field to run through, I really did go wild. Now my body is discovering that it can do twice of what it used to do with only half the effort, and with better quality. The easing of pressure is a key in freeing up my upper register, and I am looking forward to making more progress.

I have two confirmed singing engagements, a Christmas recital in December and Purcell's "Raise, Raise the Voice" for January. On Tuesday I am going to audition for the tenor solo in Bach's "Wachet Auf!" cantata.

No comments:

Post a Comment